How to Change Yahoo Mail Password - With Security Tips
Your Yahoo Mail account stores and provides access to a lot of important and sensitive emails and documents. Keeping these emails and documents safe should always be a priority. One of the ways to make sure of the security is to change the password of your Yahoo Mail account regularly. Although there is no specific rule as to how frequently you should change your Yahoo Mail password, changing it every 90 to 120 days is considered ideal.
Do I Need to Change My Password Regularly?
Remembering the password of so many different accounts is a task in itself, and changing it frequently may make it even more frustrating. This may dissuade you from changing your Yahoo Mail password every few months. However, if you go by reports, it has been found that 80% of cybersecurity attacks involve weak or stolen password cases. And, this is the reason that you should change your password regularly.
Advantages of Changing your Yahoo Mail Password Regularly
- Prevent Breaches to Multiple Accounts - Using your Yahoo Mail password outside of Yahoo increases the risk of access to other accounts in case your password gets hacked. It is, therefore, best to change your password to something unique for all your accounts. For example, never use your Instagram password for your Yahoo Mail account or vice versa.
- Prevents Use of Saved Passwords - When you change or lost your computer, there is a possibility that someone may get access to your saved Yahoo Mail password. Regularly changing the password will ensure that even if someone finds an old, saved password, it will not be a threat to the security of your Yahoo Mail account.
- Prevent Access Gained by Keystroke Loggers - A Keystroke Logger is a surveillance technology that is used to record keystrokes. Hackers often use this technology to steal login credentials. When you change your Yahoo Mail password regularly, the password obtained using Keystroke Logger would be less likely to be useful for a longer period.
- Prevents Constant Access - As a hacker may try again and again to access your Yahoo Mail account, changing your password minimizes the risk of a hacker having frequent access to your account.
Do Not Use Just Any Password
Using personal information in passwords such as your date of birth, last name, consecutive letters, or your phone number is a strict “NO”. Cracking software used by hackers automatically checks for such common combinations and can easily gain access to your Yahoo Mail account. So, always avoid creating such predictable passwords and use strong one for any of your accounts, including Yahoo Mail.
How to Create a Strong Yahoo Mail Password?
Although, there are no set of rules that you must follow to create a strong password for your Yahoo Mail account; however, considering the following suggestions will help you create a password strong enough to be hacked by anyone. So, make sure that your strong Yahoo Mail password:
- Has At Least 12 Characters: A long password is difficult to crack; therefore, it is suggested that the password you create for your Yahoo Mail account is at least 12 to 14 characters in length.
- Includes Alphabets, Special Characters, and Numbers: It is always best to use a combination of alphabets (both small and capital), numbers, and symbols. This way, a hacker or cracking software is not able to crack the password.
- Doesn’t Include Predictable Substitutions: It strongly recommended to never use common substitutions in your password like “Yah00” where you just replace “oo” of “Yahoo” with numbers “00”.
- Is Not a Dictionary Word or a Combination of Dictionary Words: It is always best not to use the obvious dictionary words and combinations of dictionary words. It means that a dictionary word, be it a single one or a combination of a few words, especially when they are the obvious ones, should never be used for creating a password. For example, “Lion” is a weak password, and “LionKing” is also an obvious password.
How do I Change my Yahoo Mail Password?
Changing Yahoo Mail Password is not a big deal, provided you remember your current password. However, if you don't remember your password, you will need to reset your Yahoo account password using the account recovery options (phone number or email address associated with your account). Well, considering that you remember your current password, you can change it by following these steps:
Steps to Change Yahoo Mail Password from Desktop or Mobile Browser
If you are accessing your Yahoo Mail account using a desktop or mobile web browser, you can change the password for your Yahoo Mail account by following the instructions provided below.
- Open a web browser on your computer or mobile phone. Make sure to use a Yahoo supported web browser running with the latest updates.
- Now, open Yahoo Mail sign-in page and log into your account using your Yahoo ID (username, email address, or phone number) and your current password.
- Once you are logged into your Yahoo Mail account, click on your Profile Picture located on the top-right corner of the screen. A drop-down menu will appear on the screen.
- From the drop-down menu, select the Account info option. You will be directed to the Account info section of your Yahoo account.
- On the Account info page, click on the Account security option located on the left-hand side. In the Account security section, click on Change password option.
- As you will click on the Change password option, you will be prompted to use Yahoo Account Key. Here, you will need to click on the "I would rather change my password" option to change the password.
- On the next screen, you will be prompted to enter New Password for your Yahoo Mail account. So, enter the new password in the provided fields and click on the Continue button.
- Your Yahoo Mail password will be changed right away when you will see the "Success" message on the next screen.
If you access your Yahoo Mail account or any other Yahoo account through the dedicated mobile application, you can change Yahoo mail password from Mobile App by following the instructions mentioned below.
Steps to Change Password From Yahoo Mobile App
- On your smartphone, go to the list of applications and tap on the Yahoo Mail app icon. This will launch the Yahoo Mail app on your phone.
- Once the Yahoo Mail application opens on your smartphone, tap on the Profile Picture icon located on the top-left corner of the screen. Now a menu will appear on your screen.
- From the menu, you will need to tap on the Manage accounts option. As you will tap on this option, you will be directed to the Manage accounts section of your Yahoo Mail account.
- On the Manage accounts screen, tap on the Account info option below the Yahoo Mail account for which you wish to change the password.
- On the next screen, tap on the Security settings option. You might be prompted to Enter device PIN/pattern/fingerprint to continue.
- Once you are in the Security settings section, tap on the Change password option located on the top-right corner of the screen.
- Now, you will be prompted to Use Yahoo Account Key on the next screen. Here, you will need to tap on the "I would rather change my password" option. Tapping on this option will take you to the next screen where you will be prompted to enter the new password for your Yahoo Mail account.
- So, enter the new password in the provided fields and tap on the Continue button. A new password for your Yahoo Mail account is now configured.
NOTE: Instead of the Yahoo Mail app, you can also open any other Yahoo Mobile application.
Cant' Remember Password? Use Yahoo Account Key
For some, it can be quite a troublesome task to remember the password of their Yahoo Mail account. In such a case, you can use the "Account Key" feature, which saves you from the task of remembering your password and is also a more secure way to access your Yahoo Mail account. The "Account Key" feature works by sending a notification to your choice of mobile device each time you or anyone else tries to access your Yahoo mail account. You will need to approve the access in the notification by tapping "Yes" on your phone. This way, no one else will be able to gain access to your account without your knowledge. Below you can find the information on how to set up Yahoo Account key from a web browser.
Steps to Set Up Account Key from a Web Browser
- On your computer, open a web browser and sign in to your Yahoo Mail account.
- Once you are logged in to your Yahoo Mail account, click on your Profile Picture and select Account info option from the drop-down menu.
- In the Account info section, select the Account security page from the left-hand side panel.
- In the Account security page, click on the See how it works button (highlighted in the blue box) where it says, "Secure your account with Yahoo Account Key".
- As you will click on this button, you will be prompted to "Get your phone" on the next screen. Here, you will need to click on the Send me a notification button, and then on the Yes, send me a notification button. You will receive a notification on your phone.
- In the notification, you will be given a Sample Account Key for your Yahoo Mail account. Tap on it and then on the Yes button (Right tick sign in the green circle). Doing so will prompt a message on your computer screen, which reads, "That's all it takes to sign in".
- On the same screen, you will need to tap on the "Always use Yahoo Account Key" button to enable the Account key for your Yahoo Mail account.
- On the next screen, you will be prompted to confirm your phone number. So, enter your phone number and click on the Confirm button.
- As you will click on the Confirm button, Yahoo Account key will be enabled for your account. Always make sure to keep your phone number updated with your Yahoo account.
- From next time whenever you or anyone else will try to access your Yahoo Mail account, you will receive a notification on your registered device in the same manner.
NOTE: Before selecting the "Yes, send me a notification" button, make sure that you are signed in with the same Yahoo Mail account on your Yahoo Mobile app and have notifications enabled.
Enable Additional Security to your Yahoo Mail Account with Two-Step Verification
Two-Step Verification is another secure way to protect your Yahoo Mail account from cyber attacks. This feature works by enabling an additional security layer using your device. Follow the steps provided below to enable Two-Step Verification feature for your Yahoo Mail account.
Steps to Enable Two-Step Verification in Yahoo Mail
NOTE: You will need to turn off Account Key feature in your Yahoo Mail account to enable the Two-Step Verification feature. You can disable Yahoo Account Key feature from the Account Security Page of your Yahoo account.
- Sign in to your Yahoo Mail account and got to the Account security page.
- Next to the Two-Step Verification feature, click on the Toggle button to turn on the feature.
- Next, enter your Phone Number in the provided field and click Send SMS or Call me button to receive a verification code.
- Enter the verification code in the prompted field and click on the Verify button.
- In case you access your Yahoo Mail account in any third-party apps such as Outlook or Apple Mail, you will need to click on the Create app passwords option or click Skip for now button. The Two-Step Verification feature is now enabled for your Yahoo mail account.
Are you Changing Password Because Your Yahoo Mail got Hacked
If you ever notice or have doubt that someone is trying to access or take over your Yahoo account, there are certain important steps that you should take to secure your information. Know about the warning signs and things to do when your Yahoo Mail account has been compromised by going through the information provided below.
Warning Signs of a Hacked Yahoo Mail Account
- Suddenly you are unable to receive any emails in your account.
- Spam messages are being sent to your contacts.
- There are logins from unexpected locations on your Recent Activity page.
- Some of the Account info or Mail Settings have been changed without your knowledge.
If you find any of the above warning signs in your Yahoo mail account, contact Yahoo mail customer service number to report the issue.
Things To Do When Your Account Has Been Hacked
Your Yahoo mail account got hacked, but you have changed the password and regained control of your account, there may be a possibility that the hacker might have changed certain settings in your account to get copies of your emails. In such a case, it is best to check your mail settings and make sure that none of your info or preferences were changed. The things that you should check include:
- Default sending address
- Blocked addresses
- Sending name
- Auto-forwarding address
- Reply-to address
- Email filters
- Vacation response
- Send-only address
- Email signature