Learn How to Recover Hacked Yahoo Mail Account
Your Yahoo Mail account contains important email messages, files, and photos to which you will never want to let an unauthorized person have access to. However, there are certain users whose accounts get hacked by hackers because of different reasons such as using a weak password, accessing their account from untrusted devices and browser, or using an easy-to-guess password. In such a case, the only way to regain access to their Yahoo Mail account is by resetting the password of it. However, if even after resetting the password, a user feels unsure about the security of his account, there are additional options (Account Key and Two-Step Verification) provided by Yahoo along with a dedicated team of Yahoo customer support experts.
Common Reasons That Lead to the Hacking of Your Yahoo Mail Account
There are certain common reasons that make it easier for hackers to intrude your Yahoo Mail account. Some of these common reasons include:
- Using a password for your Yahoo Mail account which you are already using for another account.
- You have configured an easy-to-guess password for your account.
- You accessed your account on an untrusted device or web browser.
- You mistakenly shared your password with an unknown person.
- You fell for a phishing scam.
- You accessed your account over an unsecured Wi-FI network.
- Your email address was flooded by spammers.
Steps to Reset Password of your Yahoo Mail Account
Resetting your password not only allows you to regain access to your account but also prevents the other person (who hacked your account) from having control of your account. To reset the password of your hacked Yahoo Mail account, just follow the steps provided below.
NOTE: Before following the steps below, make sure you have access to one of the account recovery options associated with your account. Account recovery options include a phone number or email address which is required in order to verify your identity as the rightful owner of the account.
- Open a supported browser on your computer and go to the Yahoo sign-in page. Enter your Yahoo email address in the provided field and click on the Next button.
- On the next screen where you will be prompted to enter the password of your account, you will need to click on the “I forgot my password” located below the Sign in button.
On the subsequent screen, you will be prompted with one of the account recovery options associated with your account. If you recognize the option on your screen and have access to it, click Yes, text me a verification code. However, if you do not recognize or if you don’t have access to the given option, you will need to click on the “I don’t have access to this phone/email address”. Doing so will take you to the next screen where you will be given the account recovery option available for your account.
NOTE: Depending on the account recovery options shown on your screen, you will see the following options:
For Phone Number
- Yes, text me a verification code
- I don’t have access to this phone
For Email Address
- Yes, please send me a verification code
- I don’t have access to this email address
- Once you receive the verification code on your particular account recovery option (phone number or email address), you will need to enter it in the provided field on the subsequent page and click on the Verify button.
- Once the Verification gets verified, you will see a “Success message” on the next window along with the following two options:
- Create a new password
- While selecting the “Continue” button will direct you to your account, selecting the “Create a new password” option, you will be directed to next screen where you will be prompted to enter your new password.
- Enter your new password in the prompted fields and click on the Continue button. You will be directed to the next screen.
- On the next screen, you will be shown the Account Recovery options associated with your account. Here, you will be able to remove the account recovery options that you no longer use or you don’t have access to and add the one you are currently using and have access to it. Once you are done updating your account recovery option, click on the “Looks good” button and you are done. The password for your Yahoo Mail account will be reset.
Enhance the Security of your Yahoo Account using Two-Step Verification
In order to prevent your account from getting hacked again, it is suggested to enable Two-step verification feature for it. The Two-step verification feature works as an additional security step which uses your personal device. Enabling this feature sends a security code on your phone each time you (or someone) tries to access your Yahoo account from a new device or web browser. To know how to use Two-step verification for your Yahoo account, follow these steps:
- Sign in to your Yahoo account on a supported web browser and click on your Profile name located on the top-right corner.
- From the drop-down menu, you will need to select the Account info option.
- On the Account info page, you will need to click on the Account security option located on the left-hand side panel.
- Under Account security section, you will need to click on the slider button next to Two-step verification option. This will open a small window on your screen where you will need to enter your phone number on which you wish to receive the security code.
After entering your phone number in the provided field, you will need to click on the Send SMS button. Enter the verification code you receive on your phone number in the subsequent field and click on the Verify button. Once your number gets verified, Two-step verification feature will be enabled for your account.
NOTE: Instead of setting a security code by clicking on the Send SMS button, you can also receive it via call by clicking on the Call me button.
Well, now as you know how to reset the password of your Yahoo Mail account and enhance its security using Two-step verification feature, you can easily regain access to your account and improve its security whenever required.